Friday, January 9, 2009

Torinator: the Sera Chronicles

Dear Blog,
Torino sucks. There is nothing to do here but eat tagliatelle, see historical monuments, eat risotto, drink wine, and go to see big famous mountains, eat gnocchi while seeing big famous mountains, and dance at parties with local Italians. How do Syd and Lily handle living here?

Take, for example, the first night I was there. Syd basically strongarmed me into dining at Cafe della Basilica, just because they claim it's their favorite restaurant and we supposedly wouldn't have another chance to eat there because of the holiday. I had to endure an evening in a small, rustic room lined with old wine bottles, taper candles, and a marble-topped bar which looked so antique it could have been in a Humphrey Bogart movie. I choked down the risotto with fresh prosciutto and aged parmigiano reggiano with a glass of local barbaresco, because I'd been taught it's not good manners to waste food. But otherwise I'm not claiming I enjoyed any of it! I'm not sure Syd did either, as his gnocchi was apparently "to die for." Any food that might kill you doesn't sound like good news to me. http://www.caffedellabasilica.it/

No comments: