It stormed all Saturday until late afternoon, when it finally died down to a steady downpour. Sunday morning dawned soggy but sunny, so I went on my run. My first indication that something was very wrong was the general state of the plaza. Ropes of lights, broken branches, and a metal barrier at a 90-degree angle to where it should have been. Then, I found out my park where I usually run was closed. Three scaffoldings I passed were just piles of scrap metal and wet wood. An old wall had distingegrated. Three large highway billboards were lying in the street, their advertisements torn into pieces and scattered. There was flooding everywhere, and I later learned that winds reached 80 mph in Bordeaux.

26 people died in this storm across, and hectares upon hectares of trees planted south of Bordeaux - sometimes as heritage investments for families - were flattened. Half a million people lost power. Most of the major trainlines stopped for a day. I was thankfully not affected myself that much, but this is definitely the worst natural disaster I have seen since coming to France.
No comments:
Post a Comment