When food poisoning hit, le supermarche suddenly became a dark and foreign place. As I tottered weakly through the aisles, all those things in which I had found such delight before had turned into sinister lumps of potential biohazard. Even the smells sent me reeling. But, even in my nauseous, calorie-deprived state, it got me thinking. France has stricter regulations regarding food contents than the United States. Is it more or less healthy? Is it more prone to spoilage or vomit-causing bacteria? Is my body not well-acclimated to the food content? Later on, safely back in my food-void home with only dry crackers and Ginger Ale, I sat down at my computer and asked myself, "What is in the food in this country, anyway?" Here are three examples of things found in both countries, and the differences:
France: Fresh whole milk, Creme Fraiche, Sugar, Lactic Acid Bacteria, Vanilla Aroma.
USA: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Lowfat Milk, Sugar, Modified Cornstarch, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whey Protein Concentrate, Kosher Gelatin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Lactic Acid Bacteria, Colored With Turmeric Extract, and Annatto Extract, Vitamin D3.
France: Orange juice (from concentrate,) sugar, lemon juice (from concentrate,) aromas, potassium sorbate (preservative,) Guar gum (stabilizer,) honey extract, beta carotene.
USA: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, sodium benzoate, modified food starch, natural and artificial flavors, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, sodium polyphosphates, coconut oil, yellow 6, brominated vegetable oil, red 40, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.
France: Dried potatoes, vegetable oil, vegetable fat, corn flour, wheat starch, maltodextrine, salt, rice flour, dextrose.
USA: Dried potatoes, vegetable oil, rice flour, wheat starch, maltodextrin, salt, dextrose.
Over the total of all products I looked at I found that products in France tend to contain natural ingredients, with far less preservatives and chemicals, and far shorter shelf lives (Pringles are pretty much the same in both countries, and it was interesting to find out they are not only vegetarian, but vegan.) High glucose corn syrup and bovine growth hormone are illegal in France. A good percentage of milk products aren't pasteurized, especially the cheeses. Since pesticides are strictly regulated, produce sometimes comes in flawed and bruised (I once found a small snail living in a head of lettuce,) and turns over quicker, but is more flavorful. Oh, and just a small side-note, Lipton USA adds MSG to their chicken noodle soup.I suppose the conclusion of my expedition into the nutritional nether is that I'm not predisposed to be more sensitive to food in France, with the possible exception of the milk products. Since I've been here 18 months and this is the first serious problem I've had, my recent ride on the Roller Coaster of Barf was probably not related specifically to France. But, this nutritional comparison was something I likely should have done when I first got here. Better late than never, I guess.



No comments:
Post a Comment