Sunday, July 20, 2008

Liberez Apero: 1989 Chateau Margaux

At a dinner a few nights ago, I had the priviledge of trying the 1989 Chateau Margaux, considered a great vintage of the past few decades.



Bordeaux wines really stand up to time. The '89 is "only" 20 years old, and it was still a fairly young wine. It was a full garnet-red in color, ever-changing in aromas of deep cherry, plum, chocolate, a meaty-leatheriness, a touch of greenness, and a little strong on the wood. (As I said, it's young.) On the mouth it was smooth, with a nice balance of acid, tannin, and wood against the deep fruit. It was a rich, elegant wine, but it seems like it could stand to wait another 10 to 15 years before it's really a "grown-up." Right now it seemed more like a mildly confused college junior who's just decided on a major - not completely scattered like a freshman, but not quite an adult yet either. But since, in social situations I tend to drink wines for enjoyment and not dissection, I have to say I certainly did enjoy this one, especially in the vif group of diners I was with.

No comments: