It's hard to believe, but I'm actually bored in France. The summers in Europe are fabulous - sunshine, long vacations, no hurricanes or cyclones to ruin your day. That means that the majority of my friends - international students - have returned to their own fabulous sun-drenched countries for the summer. Or, if they're French, they've either returned to their family homes away from Bordeaux, or they've left Bordeaux to go on vacation.
What it also means, though, is that most of the sports and social organizations that I could consider getting in touch with for the summer also close their doors until the fall. The art school, which would have twilight art classes during the fall and winter, is shuttered up. The rock climbing club doesn't have any trips planned until the end of August... when I have to start my internship. The local yogi locked up his studio and went on some retreat for his chakra. Even the Bordeaux American Society is on hiatus. I'm not exactly the discotheque junkie to go party at some nightclub, especially since public transportation shuts down at midnight anyway and that scene doesn't even really get going until about then.
One can only
visit so many chateaux before they all look the same. Winemaking technology doesn't change that much around the world, after all. So my solution is to take short trips around to other parts of France, to see what's there. I'll go on a trip for a day or two, come home until I get bored again, and then head out. Granted, I can't keep this up forever - chaching! But maybe for the next few weeks or so. And while I'm at home, I've been trying new recipes to expand my somewhat limited culinary repetoire. Whoever thought one could be bored in France? The idea is foreign and strange, kind of like that odd aroma you've never smelled in a wine before and never expected to find there.
What it also means, though, is that most of the sports and social organizations that I could consider getting in touch with for the summer also close their doors until the fall. The art school, which would have twilight art classes during the fall and winter, is shuttered up. The rock climbing club doesn't have any trips planned until the end of August... when I have to start my internship. The local yogi locked up his studio and went on some retreat for his chakra. Even the Bordeaux American Society is on hiatus. I'm not exactly the discotheque junkie to go party at some nightclub, especially since public transportation shuts down at midnight anyway and that scene doesn't even really get going until about then.
One can only
No comments:
Post a Comment