Sunday, March 1, 2009

Not in Love with "Love"

There is a new magazine out in Europe, called Love. It was highly anticipated, and now it's out, in all its glossy glory. I admit, it's a beautiful magazine to look at. It grabs the attention with its cool photography and eye-popping imagery against a color-washed background.

But, I'm having a bit of trouble with this one. It may be pretty, but it's not unique. What's in it can already be found in the existing magazine culture. One can already find artsy photos, whether they're in Rolling Stone, Vogue, or the latest Prada catalogue. One can already find the shock-jocks of the magazine world. And really, who cares what yet-another-celebrity has to say about love? I can go to the Cosmo website if I really wanted to know, and save myself the trouble of grinding through 300+ pages of decimated rain forest.

I'm not sure what all the fuss was about, but from what I've seen so far, Love doesn't live up to the hype. It isn't worth not reading per se... it'll be worth flipping through next time I'm in the doctor's waiting room and it's been assimilated into the pile of other magazines which look and read exactly the same. That is, if my doctor's bothered taking out a subscription.

http://www.thelovemagazine.co.uk/

No comments: